Sunday, March 1, 2009

Why I'm Doing This (I think)

Well, it all started when I became a reluctant member of Facebook. And then a not-so-reluctant member (as my husband said, "For someone who says she dislikes Facebook, you sure spend a lot of time on there. You're like someone who says he reads Playboy for the articles."). Once I opened up to the (still) weird public-ness of Facebook, I felt like I also wanted a place to write. So here I am.

As for the title, it's from W.B. Yeats's poem "The Circus Animals' Desertion," which is, ironically, all about the poet's fear that his inspiration will leave him. But the Poet resolves to "lie down where all the ladders start/In the foul rag and bone shop of the heart." What better place to start?

This will probably contain a lot of posts about my kids, and a few about what I'm reading when the kids graciously allow me time to read. Maybe a few posts about what I'm teaching, or listening to, or eating. Who knows? But it feels good to be writing in this way again, and putting my foot on the first rung of that ladder.

1 comment:

  1. I wish you the best of luck. I'll be reading, if that's any incentive.

    ReplyDelete